Hasselback Baked Potatoes are thinly sliced wedges that are left intact at the bottom. When baked, these thin wedges fan out into frilly rounds of crispness with a fluffy potato centre. Seasoned with sea salt, black pepper, and chopped Rosemary.
For an easy side dish, make these Quick Hasselback Potatoes and a few of these Herb Roasted Potatoes for a small family lunch served with a warm or cold salad. Serve with delicious homemade Cranberry Sauce with Orange and Port.
Why You Will Like This Recipe.
- They are quicker to make than large baking potatoes which can often take a few hours in the oven.
- Hasselback Potatoes make an ideal snack or side dish.
- They can be made ahead of time and store really well.
This is just an overview of the ingredients I used and why I may have used them. See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and quantities.
- Potatoes - Use a medium sized potato. King Edward or Maris Piper are fine as they give a nice fluffy baked potato.
- Seasoning - I love to use freshly ground Sea Salt and Pepper. Table Salt and Pepper is fine.
- Olive Oil - This helps to crisp up the potato skins and help prevent them from burning. Vegetable oil of Sunflower Oil is fine.
Step by Step Instructions
Preheat the oven to 200 deg and have ready a large baking tray.
Step 1: Wash and clean the potatoes, there is no need to peel them.
Step 2: Carefully place the potatoes between wooden handles and using a sharp knife and without cutting all the way through, make slits into each potato about ¼ inch thick.
Step 3: Slice each potato evenly making sure the base is intact and not cut through and falling apart.
Step 4: Place the potatoes on the prepared baking tray and brush the tops with olive oil. Sprinkle each potato with crushed sea salt and pepper. Add the chopped Rosemary or your favourite herbs
Step 5: Bake for about 20 mins or until the skins are golden and crispy with a fluffy baked centre. This also depends on the size of the potatoes.
Ideally they are best eaten on the day they are made, but will keep in the fridge for a few days. Reheat in a hot oven for a couple of minutes.
- Tip 1 - Use small to medium sized potatoes, anything large will take longer to bake.
- Tip 2 - Add extra seasoning such as paprika or slithers of fresh garlic between the potato cuts for extra flavour.
Frequently Asked Questions
The quickest and easiest way to cut Hasselback Potatoes is to place each potato between two wooden spoon handles or large thick BBQ sticks. This will prevent the wedges being cut all the way to the bottom leaving them intact.
Hasselback Potatoes is named after a restaurant in Stockholm, Sweden called Hasselbacken where the recipe was first introduced in the mid 20th Century and has been very popular ever since.
More Side Dish Recipes You May Like To Try
After making this recipe please let me know how you got on by leaving a comment below. Especially if you used alternative ingredients.
Hasselback Baked Potatoes
- Baking Tray
- 9 Potatoes medium sized main crop such as King Edwards or Maris Piper.
- Seasoning Salt and Pepper to taste.
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Rosemary Roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or any vegetable oil.
- Preheat the oven to 200 deg have ready a large baking tray.
- Wash and clean the potatoes, there is no need to peel them.9 Potatoes
- Place the potatoes between wooden handles and using a sharp knife and without cutting all the way through, make slits into each potato about ¼ thick.
- Slice each potato evenly making sure the base is intact and not cut through and falling apart.
- Place the potatoes on the prepared baking tray and brush the tops with olive oil. Sprinkle each potato with crushed sea salt and pepper. Add the chopped Rosemary or your favourite herbsSeasoning, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons Fresh Rosemary
- Bake for about 20 mins or until the skins are golden and crispy with a fluffy baked centre. This also depends on the size of the potatoes.
Your Private Notes
Note: Recipes are tested using Metric only. The provided nutrition information is an estimate for the entire recipe, the calorie accuracy nutritional facts, unit and portion conversion are calculated by a third party app. and are not guaranteed.